FolkestoneJack's Tracks

Arrival in Xi’an

Posted in Chenghe, China, Xi'an by folkestonejack on February 26, 2009

Arrived at Xi’an in the early morning and managed to navigate my way through the mass of people coming off the train, up the ramp and out through the ticket checks. After untangling myself from the crowds I joined the others in the rather damp square outside the station. The turreted walls of the city would have presented a much more atmospheric sight in any other conditions, but not today. Instead, it was the delicious taste of warm dumplings that provided the greatest satisfaction (I have to admit that the greatest surprise of this trip has been how much I have loved the food).

Although Xi’an had some amazing sights to tempt tourists, not least the terracotta warriors, this was just a staging post on our journey to Chenghe where we would be joining a QJ-hauled charter train on the loess mountain line Podicun viaduct – Chenghe. This was a late substitute for the planned visit to Zoucheng and something of a disappointment for man on the trip, but for me it was to be the first and quite possibly only chance to see a QJ albeit in far from ideal conditions. In a world of ifs and buts, missing the QJs on the Ji-Tong Railway is a big if only for me. I have to temper that by saying that I am nevertheless most grateful for what I have had the opportunity to see on this trip.

Anyway, we found our two buses and began an epic journey to Chenghe. One bus was driven at incredible speed with absolute recklessness in the icy conditions whilst the other was driven slowly with absolute caution. No middle ground at all! The experience was just a little unnerving, not least when we approached the scene of an accident or check on the expressway (a lorry stopped with a police car). It looked too tight. Bernd shouted ‘stop’ and in reaction the driver put his foot hard on the accelerator! Collison narrowly averted, we headed onwards and eventually reached the right expressway exit.

Needless to say, the disparity in driving styles resulted in the buses losing sight of each other and some fairly stressed conversations by mobile between the two buses. The other minibus arrived at the expressway exit about 45 minutes later and we formed a convoy for the final kilometres to the railway. It was a relief to make it.

Tagged with:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: